Water Damage Restoration Tips
Water damage can come from any number of sources: a broken pipe, a backed up toilet, flooding caused by storms or water trapped by ice dams.
No matter the cause, the cost to your home or business can be significant and since water can also carry any number of contaminants, it can present health effects as well. At times like this you need trained water damage restoration specialists like the professionals at SERVPRO.
No one likes to consider the potential dangers of water damage, especially here in the Summit area where the beauty of nature is such a vital part of life.
The mountain paths and ski trails that make this area the perfect location for businesses such as the Aspen Outfitting Company can also contain many hazards, especially when winter storms lead to icing and flooding.
As part of the community ourselves, SERVPRO understands those particular issues and we’re prepared to handle any kind of water damage they may cause.
With the latest techniques and state-of-the-art equipment we can tackle every aspect of the restoration process and ensure that your property looks good again.
We also know that the restoration process can be a complex one, since water can cause a wide range of problems and carry many different hazards. With that in mind, we have a few tips for handling any type of water damage and making the restoration process easier:
- Not everything is restorable – unfortunately, not all items that suffer from water damage will be able to be restored. In many cases, it may not be possible to determine exactly what is salvageable until all water is removed and the property is thoroughly dried out. At SERVPRO, we understand this and we also understand your desire to save as much of your property as possible. For that reason, we’ll schedule a follow-up to monitor the drying process and perform a complete evaluation to determine what can be saved and take any steps toward restoration, including removing and replacing carpeting and carpet padding, and cleaning any furniture or other items.
- Pre-existing damage may not be included – there may be some items which have issues that pre-date the water damage. If we can clean up pre-existing dirt during the restoration process we will, but if treating the pre-existing dirt requires extra time and effort, we may not be able to include that in our restoration efforts. We’ll keep you apprised of any such circumstances so that you know exactly what can and can’t be done.
- Some items should be removed prior to restoration- some personal items, such as guns and ammunition or jewelry and other valuables, should be removed prior to the restoration work as our technicians are not allowed to handle these items.
- We can help prep for your insurance claim – we’re not insurance adjusters or agents ourselves, but we do understand the importance of filing a claim quickly and accurately in order to get compensation for damages. For this reason, we’ll do everything we can to help you formulate a complete inventory of all items and catalog damages so that you’re ready to file your claim.
- Emergency Charges – although we are as thorough as possible, we may not be able to accurately determine the exact cost of the restoration process on our initial visit. Since we do understand how important it is to have a good idea of your costs, we can provide you with the SERVPRO Water Damage Emergency Services Report to give you an estimate at the time of the initial visit if you request it. Unfortunately, the actual scope of the work can change due to unforeseen circumstances. We’ll provide a final bill to you and your insurance company upon completion of our services.
- Always maintain health standards – standing water can contain harmful contaminants. It can also lead to mold infestation, which may cause health effects to the people and animals. For this reason, it is recommended that all people and pets stay away from the premises during the restoration process. SERVPRO is always mindful of health effects, which is why we use the safest possible products and take all necessary precautions while working.
- Speed is crucial – like costs, the time involved to complete the restoration process cannot be easily estimated during the initial walkthrough, as unforeseen circumstances can sometimes cause delays. We do understand the crucial need to act quickly, however, since the longer water is allowed to remain the greater the damage it can cause and the better the chances of mold infestation occurring. As such we will do everything we can to act as quickly as possible.
Professionals You Can Trust
Understanding these basic tips can help to make the water damage restoration process that much easier. No matter what the cause or extent of your damage, though, the best tip to remember is to leave the job to the professionals. Since water can contain so many safety and cause health effects, it’s always a better idea to call a water damage restoration company like SERVPRO rather than try to handle it yourself.
At SERVPRO, we have a thorough, step-by-step process that we follow to ensure that every property is restored to its previous condition. It begins with answering your initial call as quickly as possible, 24 hours a day, and sending a technician to your location within four hours of your call to assess the extent of damage and formulate a specific plan for addressing it.
Included in that initial assessment will be a thorough examination of all affected surfaces and belongings so that we can determine exactly what can be restored and what is unsalvageable. We’ll explain everything as we go along so that you know what to expect and are prepared to file your insurance claim.
For the restoration process itself, we’ll employ our professional training and state-of-the-art equipment to remove all standing water, thoroughly dry out all surfaces, clean and sanitize everything and perform mold remediation.
Of course, we also understand that the restoration process is never finished until your property is returned to its previous condition. To achieve that end, we’ll also make any necessary repairs, including replacing drywall, removing and replacing carpeting and carpet pads and replacing damaged flooring. We always keep our customers’ needs first, so we won’t be satisfied until we know that you are.
Restoring Doesn’t End With Your Property
SERVPRO is proud to be the leading name in water damage restoration, but we know that restoration doesn’t end with your property. We’re part of the Summit community ourselves and so we take the needs of our neighbors very seriously. Water damage can be devastating and our goal is to help make you whole again.
That’s why we go out of our way to treat every property as if it were our own and why we always take a “restore first” approach.
Because water can do so much damage, trying to replace everything lost in a water related emergency can be difficult and sometimes even impossible. It may be possible to get some compensation through your insurance company, but providing all of the necessary information for filing a claim isn’t always easy at such an emotional time.
SERVPRO understands this too, which is why we’ll take any steps we can to help make the claims filing process that much easier.
The most important thing to remember when a water related emergency strikes is that you’re not alone.
The professionals at SERVPRO are ready to answer your call at any time of the day or night and we’re guaranteed to respond faster to any disaster.
We’ll do everything we can to fully restore your home or business to its previous state as quickly as possible because we know how upsetting this type of situation can be. When water related problems occur, make sure that SERVPRO is your first call and you’ll know your property is in the best hands.
Authored by: Chafika and James Landers
- AMRT -Applied Microbial Remediation Technician
- ASD -Applied Structural Drying Technician
- CCT -Carpet Cleaning Technician
- ECTP -Employee Certification Training Program
- FSRT -Fire & Smoke Damage Restoration Technician
- HST -Health and safety Technician
- OCT -Odor Control Technician
- RRRP -Lead-Based Paint Activities and Renovation
- WRT -Water Damage Restoration Technician
- IICRC -Certified Firm
- EPA Lead-Safe Certified Firm
- Institute of Inspection, Cleaning & Restoration Certification
- Emergency Ready Plan Preparedness